indexing particular file types

Is it possible to index all symbolic links (source and destination) of a filesystem? For example, in my university we have a project where professors use vast amount of disk space -- over 10 TB a month. We provide the professors a mount point, /barXX and export that mount point. The professor then symbolic links that filesystem like, ln -s /nfsexport/barXX June10_data. I would like to keep track of these symbolic links. Is there a good method for this? Is there a feature in ext3 which will let me keep track of these symbolic links. I can always do a find /fs and compare inode info, but that would just take too long...

TIA