Re: Multiple files MV'd into one

Hi, Steve. I don't think you mean to reply to me only, so I'm moving
the discussion back to the list.

On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
>  2008/6/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
>  >>  Got a bit of an issue with one of my system users. They have
>  >>  accidentally moved multiple files from 1 directory, into a single file
>  >>  in another.
>  >
>  > Can we have more details on how this happened?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how it happened to be honest,

Ok, what's more important is to know what the final product looks
like. That was more my question.

>  basically, there were a group of files in one directory, with a very
>  simular name: ie, company_department_date-filename.ext
>
>  As far as I can understand, (and I'm still trying to find the bash
>  history that proves it) the user issued a command simular to the
>  following:
>
>  mv * /new/path/location
>
>  However, for some reason completely unknown to me, it has created a
>  large file called:
>
>  company_department_.ext

Okay, so is this as if they had done "cat * > company_department_.ext"?

>  Which I'm assuming means they have incorrectly specified the
>  destination in the new path location of the mv?

Maybe it was a misplaced tar? Maybe they were trying to use tar to
copy files and instead tarred it all into one? Does "file
company_department_.ext" tell you it's a tarred file?

- Jordi G. H.