Re: Weird error while upgrading fglrx-glx.

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 15:11 +0200, Carlos Parada wrote:
> Anyone knows who happens with this ??
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Carlos Parada <parlamca@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Hi, I've got the following error when performing an apt-get
>         dist-upgrade. Can you help me?
>
>         Unpacking fglrx-glx (from .../fglrx-glx_1%
>         3a8-4-1_i386.deb) ...
>         Removing `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
>         to /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 by fglrx-driver'
>         dpkg-divert: `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
>         to /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 by fglrx-glx'
>         clashes with `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
>         to /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 by fglrx-driver'
>         dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%
>         3a8-4-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>          subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status
>         2
>         Preparing to replace fglrx-driver 8.476-1
>         (using .../fglrx-driver_1%3a8-4-1_i386.deb) ...
>         Stopping atieventsd: done.
>         Unpacking replacement fglrx-driver ...
>         dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%
>         3a8-4-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>          trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libfglrx_dm.a', which is also
>         in package fglrx-driver-dev
>         dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>         update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/atieventsd missing LSB style
>         header
>         Starting atieventsd: done.
>         Processing triggers for man-db ...
>         Processing triggers for menu ...
>         Errors were encountered while processing:
>          /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%3a8-4-1_i386.deb
>          /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a8-4-1_i386.deb
>         E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

See this part

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%
3a8-4-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libfglrx_dm.a', which is also in package
fglrx-driver-dev ?  That is your problem.

When you see this come up on any package, the next thing to do is:

apt-get -f install

If that does not work do this:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%
3a8-4-1_i386.deb or run dpkg -i
--force-overwrite /path/stated/in/apt-get -f install/

The problem is another package "owns" the file dpkg is trying to
overwrite and by default dpkg will not do that.  This is a badly
packaged .deb (or the one that owns it is).

You will run into this problem when you do a dist-upgrade from stable to
testing or from testing to stable.  This work-around does not fix
anything, it just forces dpkg to ignore some other package is using this
file as a config and dpkg will write to it.

Anytime you run into issued during a dist-upgrade that do not allow the
progression of installed programs to keep going, just run apt-get -f
install, then aptitude update, then aptitude upgrade, then aptitude
dist-upgrade to continue.  It may take several attempts to get it.  In
fact at some point, you might even have to reboot to continue (due to
low level packages having been replaced and the old ones running in
memory no longer have any config files).

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com