Re: RAID for large disks

Again, I appreciate the responses.

Damon:

I am dealing with HW RAID. I looked for the "geometry" for my controller, but could not find it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157686

I am very curious about the geometry too...

 I don't know enough to pick and choose the optimal setting. Since I am working in the academic field, I would like to really understand this "geometry setting". Can someone please elaborate on this topic?

TIA

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
On Sat June 7 2008 17:04:02 Mag Gam wrote:
> Does this page,
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2006-October/msg00014.html, hold
> any validity? The poster makes a good argument, but by seeing Damon's
> response it makes no sense to go thru the trouble. I would be willing to
> try this if I get some assistance...

If performance is uber-critical for your application then you
need to benchmark various different configurations under
realistic multitasking loads.

For most applications, it's really not worth worrying about
the details at this level.

--Mike Bird