mkdir no longer works

I can no longer create directories with mkdir, neither as root from the command line nor from within the terminals in the xwindow graphics system. (I am using etchnhalf, linux image 2.6.22-4-686 on a Thinkpad T42)  In either case, when I type mkdir directory-name or mkdir path directory-name and hit enter the output is always   > on a new line.  If I cd to the directory where I'm trying to make the new subdirectory I receive the same result.  I've never had this happen before.  I recently installed drivers and firmware for ipw2100, which is now working, and I used mkdir and mv while doing this.  Any suggestions?  Is there a bug involved?  Thanks for any advice.