Re: RAID for large disks

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 20:04 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Thanks thats the exact same question I have.
>
> Does this page,
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2006-October/msg00014.html,
> hold any validity? The poster makes a good argument, but by seeing
> Damon's response it makes no sense to go thru the trouble. I would be
> willing to try this if I get some assistance...

I don't know if it is worth the trouble or not.  However your hardware
RAID controller will have a "geometry" to it.  That geometry will be
listed in the controller bios.  If you really feel like a file server
needs to be this tuned, you can use those parameters to set it up.  The
OP of that email could not have been talking about a raid5 via hardware,
but most likely a software raid.  Again, I have never worried or had to
worry that much about the geometry and I suspect, aside from academic
curiosity, you need not worry about it either.  But what the heck.  Try
it, test it, then just go with defaults and test it again.  See which is
better.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com