Re: Anyone use Linux to author DVDs?

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:05:37 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> I'm using DVD Styler (from debian-multimedia.org) because it's
> simple, and I know nothing about authoring.  The disks I *have* made
> work great from vlc, but not stand-alone players.
>
> Anyone have thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

If it's any help, I create DVDs from recordings made using Kaffeine with
a DVB-T card.  These are .m2t files.  I run them through ProjectX to
demultiplex into separate video and audio files and then use mplex with
the -f 8 option re-multiplex and create a DVD compliant mpeg.   (In
reality I use a bash script to do both these steps automatically and the
whole de/remux process is probably only necessary because of the DVB-T
source and its apparently inherent audio/video sync problems).  If
editing is needed then Avidemux seems pretty good, saving the edited
file with the mpeg-ps option.

I use devede to create the fully DVD compliant .iso and save lots of
time by selecting the advanced option "This file is already a
DVD/xCD-suitable MPEG-PS file".   The resultant DVDs play on normal
domestic standalone players.

HTH.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.