Re: "apt-get install imagemagick" also installs libqt4-*

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:17:45 +0530, mwnn wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am using Debian lenny.  When installing imagemagick, the apt-get
> package management utility seems to be installing "libqt4-*" stuff
> (which I think is unnecessary).
>
> /*************************************************************************/
> bash# apt-get install imagemagick
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree      Reading state information... Done
>  djview4 djvulibre-desktop djvulibre-plugin libdjvulibre21 libgd2-noxpm
>  libgraphviz4 libilmbase6 libjasper1 liblcms1 libmagick10 libmng1
>  libmysqlclient15off libopenexr6 libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus
>  libqt4-designer libqt4-gui libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support
>  libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg libqt4-test
> libqt4-xml
>  libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libwmf0.2-7 mysql-common qt4-qtconfig xdg-utils
>  xsltproc
> Suggested packages:
>  djvulibre-bin libgd-tools libjasper-runtime liblcms-utils libwmf-bin
> html2ps
>  libqt4-dev libgnome2-0 libgnomevfs2-bin kdelibs4c2a konqueror
>  djview4 djvulibre-desktop djvulibre-plugin imagemagick libdjvulibre21
>  libgd2-noxpm libgraphviz4 libilmbase6 libjasper1 liblcms1 libmagick10
>  libmng1 libmysqlclient15off libopenexr6 libqt4-assistant libqt4-core
>  libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-gui libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
>  libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg
>  libqt4-test libqt4-xml libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libwmf0.2-7 mysql-common
>  qt4-qtconfig xdg-utils xsltproc
> 0 upgraded, 35 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 23.7MB of archives.
> After this operation, 66.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> /*************************************************************************/
>
> Is this the right behavior?

Aptitude's "why" command is very helpful for this kind of situation (you
can use it even if you prefer to let apt-get handle the actual
installs):

$ aptitude why imagemagick libqt4-core
i   imagemagick       Depends    libmagick10
i A libmagick10       Depends    libdjvulibre21 (>= 3.5.20)
i A libdjvulibre21    Recommends djvulibre-desktop
i A djvulibre-desktop Recommends djview4 | djview3 | djview | evince
i A djview4           Depends    libqt4-core (>= 4.3.4)

It seems that you have to make sure that "recommends" are ignored (I
have no idea how apt-get treats recommendations these days) or maybe it
will be enough if you install djview3 manually before you install
imagemagick. (The "|" means that either package will satisfy the
dependency and only djview4 seems to depend on libqt4-core.)

          Florian   |