Re: USB for potato

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:46:36PM -0500, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
>   potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
>   storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
>   .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site, do
>   not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which
>   comes in the later distributions.

If your kernel support USB, you can manually load with insmod or
modprobe.

But, The latest stable release of Debian is 4.0 (etch).  Why are you
using it.

You need to make upgrade step by step or zap everything and install new
sytem.

Actually, the question is
 * What do you want with the old PC?
 * Why you need USB module?  Do you have USB device?
 * Do you have important data on that PC?
 * Do you have network access from old PC?
 * Do you have any means to connect old PC with new one? (serial?)

Anyway, it is not question of which distro to use but what you want to
do is most important.  Good luck.

Osamu