RE: Server install questions

For a general web server, you shouldn’t have any problems. As I mentioned before, I was having a hard time with a MySQL database that is being slammed pretty hard and the move to 64bit was a huge factor in helping relieve the system. It probably wouldn’t hurt going with 64 bit just so you have the power when you need it but certainly don’t stress about it.

Take care and enjoy your new server!

From: Tenant [mailto:tenant@tenant.net]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 3:29 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Server install questions

It's a general web server with LAMP - apache, php, mysql, many virtual web sites, running postfix and so on ...  nothing exotic, no desktop environment or desktop apps. Since it's Colo, access via SSH only. It will have 4 GB memory, but there's room to go to 8 GB. I feel no real reason to go to 64 bit, but if there's no danger with doing so, then I wouldn't mind it. I guess I'm looking for problem areas.