Re: managing source packages

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Michal Kapalka <michal.kapalka@epfl.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Debian stable on my laptop for some time now, and I
> really appreciate it, especially because updates do not break things
> that work well. However, sometimes I need a package/feature that is only
> in testing/unstable, and which is not (yet) in backports. The safest way
> (I guess) to deal with those packages is to install them from source
> using "apt-get build-dep / apt-get -b source / dpkg -i"

Most of the time you can install updated debs from unstable or testing
onto stable boxes. Is there a specific reason you can't/won't do this?

Other options:

 - Install newer versions from Ubuntu or other 3rd-party locations

 - Maintain your own (partial) debian mirror with updated binary
versions for Etch

 - Help backports keep your favourite packages up to date.

[...]

> It would be nice if "apt-get" (or some other tool) would
> just try to resolve that itself, e.g., write "I need to install packages
> pkgA, pkgB from Etch, and build+install source packages pkgTestingA,
> pkgTestingB from Lenny. Do you want to continue? [Y/N]".

You could try using apt-src or apt-build.

> 3. Removing (build) dependencies
>
> Say, I installed a package pkg1 from source "debs". I needed to install
> pkg2 as a dependency of pkg1, and pkg3 as a build-time dependency of
> pkg1. Is there any way to remove pkg2 and pkg3 when pkg1 is,
> respectively, removed or built?

I use debfoster.

David.