Re: mounting an smbfs as non superuser

Tony Heal wrote:

I am trying to mount an smbfs as the backup user and something is not right. I can run this as root and it works fine

mount -t smbfs –o owner=backup -o lfs -o username=administrator,password=XXXXXX //192.168.2.200/drobo /media/drobo/

yet when I mount it that way the backup user has no permissions. If I try and mount it as the backup user I get a message stating only root can do that.

mount: only root can do that

Anyone know how I can mount this so that the backup user can write to it

I don't know if there is anything different about smbfs, but when I get that message from mount it means either:

There is no entry in /etc/fstab for that filesystem/mountpoint combo
or
There is an fstab entry, but it does not have the user option

HTH

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com