Re: Script for when system was last updated

On Monday 02 June 2008 23:42, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:14:24PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Not long ago I booted Lenny, and discovered there were more than 800MB of
> > updates waiting to be installed, and not a bunch of fun on dialup.
> > Looking at my saved history files, I hadn't updated for nearly 2 months.
> >
> > I save the history from the updates in /home/user_name/history-files, and
> > label these according to the date when I updated. For example 20080528.
> >
> > Could someone suggest a script I could put in ~/.kde/autostart that would
> > put up an xmessage saying when the system was last updated, when I boot
> > up Lenny?
> >
> > Much appreciation to all you scripting gurus out there.
>
> No idea since I don't run kde.
>
> Why not decide how often you want to update/upgrade and write a
> one-liner script to put in crontab to email root "Its time to update the
> system".
>
> Doug.

Hi Doug. Thanks for the suggestion. I have a whole bunch of distros that I use
on this machine, which is why I often lose track of when I last updated them.
I don't retrieve e-mail on any of them, and collect my mail on the other
machine which is running the really ancient FC2.

Mumia's suggestion put me on the right path, and as you may have seen, I've
now resolved the problem.

Thanks a bunch though for your reply.

Nigel.