Re: problems with gnu screen within console (solved - or atleast culprit found)

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Arvind Marathe <bahuroopi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> Arvind Marathe wrote:

>>> Where or how do i set it? And since i could do all these operations
>>> till about a month back, what could have unset these paths?
>>>
>>> Arvind
>>>

>> I believe your $PATH variable is set within /etc/profile and can be further
>> customised within ~/.bashrc
>
> At console, echo $PATH gives
> /opt/intel/cc/10.1.008/bin:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.008/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/coot-0.27/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/utils:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/etc:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/ccp4i/bin:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nuparm:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucgen:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucrad:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/curvefit:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/helanal:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/lsfit:/usr/soft/AMBER/amber9//exe:/home/arvind/bin
>
> Most of them are what i have set, but
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
> are exported from /etc/profile. Only when i launch screen, they are
> not being exported. So why are they getting unset on launching screen
> within console? And how do i reset them?
>
> And as i mentioned, this is a recent phenomenon. I don't think i have
> upgraded any package related to console or screen. Today i upgraded
> screen using apt-get to see if the behaviour changes, but it didn't.

OK - so i found what was causing the trouble. I use a package called
coot (for those interested, it is used to visualise x-ray
crystallography outputs). Since many users used the package on the
machine, i had put the following line in /etc/bash.bashrc

source /usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/coot-0.27/bin/coot.sh

The moment i commented out this line, the screen errors disappeared.
The file coot.sh merely sets paths to several executable files in the
directory /usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/coot-0.27. Why sourcing
that file should screw up gnu screen's behaviour and that too only
within console, i do not know. Now the only inconvenience is that i
have to specify the full path, when i need to use coot.

I am still puzzled because this line has been in my /etc/bash.bashrc
for a looong time. And this problem is very recent. So something else
is entangled here. But atleast now i know where to look.

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Arvind