Re: Lenny with newest installer on Thinkpad: no sound in KDE, avahiproblem

[...]

>This is probably exhaustively written up somewhere - but I can't find a
>concise source. Following advice on the Wiki for KDE and sound hasn't
>helped. [Alsaconf/Kmix/alsamixergui all appear to work and the volume
>icon sometimes comes up on the panel as "muted" but no sound at all :(

[...]

Check in Kmix under the "Switches" tab to see if you have "Headphone Jack
Sense". This must be off for the internal speakers to work; maybe that's your
problem (it happened to me!).

>[...]I can't get a usable dhcp lease.

>I've a feeling that avahi is intervening - the laptop always ends up
>with a 169.* address - and I don't know enough about how to get it to
>work. DHCP is being given out by a stock Linksys WRT54G which in turn is
>fed from my cable modem.

>Static IP for the ethernet in the laptop is working fine - I just don't
>want to have to wire it the whole time.

[...]

Those 169.* addresses are avahi's fallback when DHCP isn't working...sounds
like you're missing a piece of software; the easiest way if you use KDE is
installing network-manager-kde which should pull in everthing you need for
DHCP to work automatically.

HTH,

John