Lenny with newest installer on Thinkpad: no sound in KDE, avahi problem

All,

This is probably exhaustively written up somewhere - but I can't find a
concise source. Following advice on the Wiki for KDE and sound hasn't
helped. [Alsaconf/Kmix/alsamixergui all appear to work and the volume
icon sometimes comes up on the panel as "muted" but no sound at all :( ]

Hardware: IBM Thinkpad R50e - Intel sound chipset, graphics, ipw2200
wireless.

Install from debian-installer dailies dated 31 May

First of all: kudos. Installer "just worked" with an expert install.
Base system and laptop task installed first. KDE, kdm, k3b and build
essential installed thereafter.Thinkpad model appropriately recognised,
buttons enabled etc.

Wireless didn't work immediately - following the advice on the wiki
exactly and downloading the Intel version 3.0 firmware worked like a
charm _EXCEPT_ that I can't get a usable dhcp lease.

I've a feeling that avahi is intervening - the laptop always ends up
with a 169.* address - and I don't know enough about how to get it to
work. DHCP is being given out by a stock Linksys WRT54G which in turn is
fed from my cable modem.

Static IP for the ethernet in the laptop is working fine - I just don't
want to have to wire it the whole time.

Advice/assistance appreciated on these two annoyances. This is the first
laptop I've maintained and had running for a long time: I know that
audio and wireless worked fairly well on an Etch upgraded to Lenny so I
know the basic hardware is OK. [This latest install was the
occasion to wipe out completely the Windows which has been sat there for
years, the last straw being when the supplied Windows XP didn't have
enough room for the minimal Microsoft updates needed for XP SP2 :) ]

Andy