problems with gnu screen within console

Hi list!
I am using debian lenny and icewm as my window manager on X.
I use gnu screen within my xterm and sometimes within my console. I am
having a strange problem with gnu screen for the past few days. Within
xterm, gnu screen opens just fine. But if i open screen within
console, i get a huge list of messages such as:

bash: sed: command not found
bash: awk: command not found
bash: uname: command not found
bash: [: =: unary operator expected
                           .
                           .
                           .

screen launches after this, but if i use any command, say 'ls', 'vi',
etc, i get the same error.
bash: ls: command not found

The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.

The errors are independent of the $HOME/.screenrc file, they appear
even if i remove that file. The /etc/screenrc file is the default one.

I am not sure when these errors started, but they have appeared only
within the past month or so.

TIA for any help.

Arvind