Re: X affecting console text color??

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 14:10:47 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My console text has the default light gray color - until X is started.
>
> When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the black
> background.
> Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> remains dark gray.
> Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text color
> has returned.
>
> This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
>
> Anyone else having this?
> How could X affect the default console text color?

Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
Which xorg video driver are you using? You could try to downgrade to the
previous version or test if the vesa driver leads to the same problem.

> Where is the default console foreground color determined anyway, and
> could I at least correct it manually?

setterm -foreground black|blue|green|cyan|red|magenta|yellow|white|default

You can also try the -default, -reset and -initialize options.

          Florian   |