Re: text file from Linux to windows.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM, L. V. Gandhi <lvgandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have made a text file in Linux using echo and cat commands. When I
> open the file in note pad, I find files are not having line break, but
> having a character in place of line break. Is there any way in echo
> and cat commands usage to put windows line break?

If you find that the file is already on a Windows system, and you'd
like to convert it in the absence of Debian tools, you'll find that
MS-DOS Edit reads Unix formatted text files correctly.  You can do the
"conversion" by opening the file in Edit and then saving it out again
(you will need to make a change to the file in order to save it, say,
adding a space and then deleting it).  When you save out the file,
Edit will append a \CR\LF to the end of each line as Windows text
tools expect (while will cause the file to open correctly in Notepad).

It's not a satisfying solution, but it will allow you to convert those
files you come across on Windows systems that are having the issue you
describe (which is common).

--
Chris