Re: changing xterm colors

Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> writes:

> Jamie Griffin wrote:
>> Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>>> You can edit a text file called .Xresources in your home
>>> directory (or create it if it does not exist).
>>>
>>> Put the following lines in the file:
>>>
>>> xterm*VT100*foreground:  green
>>> xterm*VT100*background:  black
>>> xterm*VT100*cursorColor: red
>
>> I've tried that and it hasn't worked. Not sure what to try next
>> - does anyone have any other ideas?
>
> This definitely *should* work. If it does not work something weird
> is the matter. Are you sure your terminal program is xterm? For
> instance, do you see the "VT Fonts" menu if you do a
> control-rightclick in the terminal window?
>
> Regards, Jan

I missed some of this thread, so this may not be applicable in the above
case for some reason.  But, assuming that the desire is to change the
values for any xterm, I have used one of the following formats in
.Xresources or .Xdefaults, and one or the other has always worked:

xterm*background: black

or:

XTerm.background: black

Maybe this will help the OP.