Re: amd64 and sun-java6-jdk

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 02:35:29AM +0000, Walt L. Williams wrote:

> I kind of got the impression while working to load these that Debian
> offer these Sun Java packages so they can say they offer them but
> try to discourage people from using what they consider propietory
> software by placing the interdependencies on three or four of the
> packages to make them difficult to load. For hell sakes who makes
> a group of packages that require the others to be installed first!

with all due respect, and bearing in mind that I don't use backports,
this really looks more like a mistake or transition in the backports
packages.

In reality, it's not that the other packages need to be installed
*first* so much as installed at the same time. It seems fairly common
for packages to depend on each other. So long as they are installed
simultaneously, then it's not a problem.

> YEP, the cridders in question !!!!!!!!!!!!! They are interdependent.
>
> >   The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >     sun-java6-bin: Depends: sun-java6-jre (= 6-00-2~bpo.1) but
> > 6-06-1~bpo40+1 is to be installed
> >     sun-java6-demo: Depends: sun-java6-jre (= 6-00-2~bpo.1) but
> > 6-06-1~bpo40+1 is to be installed
> >     sun-java6-jdk: Depends: sun-java6-jre (= 6-00-2~bpo.1) but
> > 6-06-1~bpo40+1 is to be installed
> >     sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-06-1~bpo40+1) but
> > 6-00-2~bpo.1 is to be installed or
> >                           ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-06-1~bpo40+1) but it is
> > not going to be installed
> >   E: Broken packages

this look specifically like the jre has been pushed to version
6-06-1~bpo40+1 but the other packages, which need the jre in order to
function, are still at version 6-00-2~bpo.1. I don't know if there is
a bug system for backports, but I'd call that a packaging bug for
sure.