Re: small debian on miniPC

On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:03:31 +0530
Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 26 May 2008 21:51:52 abelahcene wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC  DT166
> > , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> > will be  used to  run a graphical application from server.    With
> > standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> > automatically.
> >
> > thanks for help
> > bela
>
> There is Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which is
> derivative of Debian and it is extremely small and it has X. Give it a try.

Or try grml-medium - it's under 200MB, it has X and fluxbox, and IIUC,
it's closer to actual Debian than DSL.  From the FAQ
(http://grml.org/faq/):

What is grml-medium?

grml-medium is a grml-flavour which tries to close the gap between
grml-small and normal/large/full version of grml. grml-medium is an ISO
with a maximum size of ~200MB providing the most important packages a
sysadmin usually needs. It provides the same kernel version as normal
grml does so you can easily integrate and use some further existing
external modules as well. The X.org server is shipped as well as the
window manager fluxbox. accessibility features are not
available/supported (currently) on grml-medium though.

What is the difference between grml-small and DSL?

DSL and grml-small have different target audiences. Damn Small Linux
(DSL) uses kernel version 2.4 whereas grml-small provides a recent
version of kernel version 2.6. DSL provides the X window system which
grml-small does not. grml-small on the other hand provides the most
important packages for sysadmins and ships the original Debian package
management which allows you to install packages of the Debian pool with
no modifications.

> Mihira.

Celejar