Re: To be or not to be (ordinary keys ~ ^ `)

El lun, 26-05-2008 a las 10:03 +0200, Luis Fernando Llana Diaz escribió:
> Hello,
>   Since some months there has been a change in the behavior of the combination
> AltGr+4 of the spanish keyboard. See, bug #477197
>
> I am glad that change will be reverted. But I would like to make a change in
> the configuration of the keyboard, that I do not know how to do. In Spanish
> there are no chars like â, è (I think it is the first time I written the è
> char since I was in Italy 15 years ago).  But I ussually work with LaTeX, and
> therefore I use the chars ^ and ` much more often.  It would be nice to be
> able to write those chars just by simply typing shift+` or ` not like now
> that I have to type shift+`+space or `+space. I do not want make a global,
> since that is the ordinary behavior of the windows keyboard, even Microsoft
> systems behave like that.
>
> My question is the following, which is the file I have to modify to change
> that behavior. Where there are simple instructions to modify it?

For spanish keyboard, it's /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/es. To do what you ask,
for example, you have to modify the line:
    key <AD11> {        [      dead_grave, dead_circumflex      ],
as follows:
    key <AD11> {        [      grave, dead_circumflex      	],

That would make the change system-wide. If you only want your user to
see this behaviour, you can use xmodmap.

If you want shift+` to print the actual ` character, use:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 34 = dead_grave grave'

You can also make ` (it's called grave) print the grave and shift+`
"print" dead grave (which is the current behaviour) with:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 34 = grave dead_grave'

You can always put the '...' part of this commands in ~/.xmodmaprc and
most DEs will load it for you on login.

Read 'man xmodmap' for more info.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."