Re: GRUB error 29

Debian Linux wrote:
Hi,

I installed the Debian 4.0r2 onto my laptop where Win XP has already been there. After the installation, I'm able to boot Debian from GRUB menu but not for Win XP and GRUB error 29 is appearing on the screen, saying

error 29: Disk write error
press any key to continue

When I follow the above instruction, it brings me back to the GRUB boot menu and I lost from there

Could anyone please diagnose what's wrong with the GRUB installation? Thanks

These links look promising:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-February/076226.html

The first one basically says:
I had the same problem. In my case it was caused by the bootable flag being disabled on XP's partition.

- run 'sudo cfdisk <device>' (In my case, XP is installed on /dev/hda so <device> would be that)
- enable the bootable flag for the NTFS partition
- write changes
- quit
- reboot

Hopefully this fixes it for you.

The second one basically says:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:07:10PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>/ I did a brief check on the net, and it seems to be bug that has been />/ fixed. What version of GRUB are you using? The bug was that GRUB wasn't />/ mounting the disks read-write. />/ />/ Alternatively, maybe you want to make a GRUB boot disk, and then try />/ installing from that? />/ /I am using grub 0.95.
This was exactly my point as I don't own a floppy drive. Anyway the
solution i found after some searching was to use grub-install /dev/hda
instead of using the grub cli. Anyway grub-install worked just fine :)
Thank you for your time.

--
Kent West