Re: How can to start hotkeys ?

On 05/25/2008 10:58 AM, Jabka Atu wrote:
Good day,...

I'm using acerhk to get the special key codes (multimedia keys) .
As far as i know hotkeys is the application for running special application
on key strokes.

I created a file with running atributes in /usr/bin : my_hotkeys :
cat /usr/bin/my_hotkeys
hotkeys -t acer5102

You should place your own programs and scripts in /usr/local/bin.

at first i added this file in /etc/profile (so it will run on each user
login) - it did load to memory but it didn't catch any keystrokes (didn't do
what it sposed to do).

Then i added a symlink in ~/.kde/Autorun but it only opened kwrite with the
contense of /usr/bin/my_hotkeys
After this i tried to create generic X file :

I can't see why that didn't work if the permissions were set correctly (execute permissions). I do that on my system too.

notebook:/etc/X11/Xsession.d# ls -l startup-local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35 2008-05-25 18:36 startup-local
notebook:/etc/X11/Xsession.d# cat startup-local
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/my_hotkeys &

I doubt you need to manually background this process. I suspect that xbindkeys does pretty much the same thing as "hotkeys," and xbindkeys backgrounds itself.

notebook:/etc/X11/Xsession.d# cat /usr/bin/my_hotkeys
hotkeys -t acer5102

so teorticly it should run on each login (it didn't even load ).
so i tried using a local xseason file :

notebook:/home/jabka# ls -l .xsession
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jabka jabka 35 2008-05-25 18:47 .xsession
notebook:/home/jabka# cat .xsession
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/my_hotkeys &

the last option i used was adding my_hotkeys into .bashrc but this method
has a major flaw (on each time i login to bash or open the konsole the
application is loaded),

Regards,...
  Thank you in advance

Test for $DISPLAY and the presence of the "hotkeys" process before launching hotkeys, e.g.:

if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then
if [ -z "$(ps hc -C xbindkeys)" ]; then
    echo "Start xbindkeys."
fi
fi

Season to taste.

However, a more accurate but complicated way would be to use the X resource database (xrdb) to store a semaphore that would indicate that the hotkey application had already been started on that display.

Good luck.