Re: 97% use of / system

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 07:16:46AM +0100, andy wrote:
> <snip>
> >>My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
> >>can

> / = 12GB
> SWAP = 2.8GB
> /home = 168GB
>
> No separate /var /tmp, etc.
>
> Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
> balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.

You had near 5 GB of debs!

I use aptitude interactivly.  It has some nice search functions and I
don't have it install recommends automatically.

You may have some cruft build-up on the system.  Use your package
manager (I'm not suggesting that you change which one you use) and
identify and remove any packages that you don't want.  The fewer
packages installed, the fewer to have bugs.

You may want to consider splitting up that filesystem.

Doug.