startx stopped working - xinit OK

I've been using startx to start X for as long as I've been using Linux -
about 10 years or more. Yesterday it stopped working, giving an error
message about "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc - no such option". But xinit
runs as expected. This is on a laptop running Sid.

I know that startx is just a front end to xinit and is not essential but
I'd like to understand what is happening. I had just done a large
upgrade so perhaps something happened there; I'd also been experimenting
with sshfs.

Googling didn't produce much. I tried commenting out the lines in startx
that refer to xserverrc but then other errors appeared.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Perhaps I should submit a bug report.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)