Re: utilizing bluez-firmware without hotplug in Etch

On 2008-05-24 06:47 +0200, Mumia W.. wrote:

> I have an Anycom USB-250 bluetooth adapter that has a Broadcomm
> chipset (I think). Evidently, I need bluez-firmware get get the
> adapter to work properly, and I've installed the package, but there
> are no instructions on how to use data files in the package.

An up to date driver should load it automagically for you.  See the info
in the Linux kernel under Documentation/firmware_class/README.

> This is under Debian Etch / i386 with Linux 2.6.24.6.
>
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README contains useless, generic
> compilation and installation instructions. README.Debian says that
> hotplug is needed, but hotplug is no longer in Debian. If I try to
> install Sarge's hotplug, aptitude wants to basically uninstall my O/S
> :-)

Maybe the documentation is outdated, the package is not the newest. Most
probably udev will work.

> So hotplug is not an option with Etch. "Dpkg -L" gives me a look at
> what's in the package:
>
> /.
> /usr
> /usr/lib
> /usr/lib/firmware
> /usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-MD.hex
> /usr/lib/firmware/BCM2033-FW.bin
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_03.ptc
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_00_06.ssf
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_02_WLAN.ssf
> /usr/lib/firmware/STLC2500_R4_02_04.ptc
> /usr/share
> /usr/share/doc
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/BCM-LEGAL.txt
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/AUTHORS
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/README.Debian
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/copyright
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.Debian.gz
> /usr/share/doc/bluez-firmware/changelog.gz
>
> I have no idea how to use the binary files in /usr/lib/firmware. Most
> probably there is a command to upload the firmware or something like
> that. Can anyone help me get my bluetooth adapter configured properly?

The problem seems that udev expects the firmware under /lib/firmware,
not /usr/lib/firmware, see bug #400040.  Try the bluez-firmware version
from Lenny, where this is fixed.

Sven