Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 06:58:36AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Thanks to all replies...
>
> I got the cloning working.  The recipe that finally worked was pretty
> similar to the "dd" provided but with some differences, because I
> couldn't get the MBR correctly working with other recipes, :(

I guess what you did is OK but FYI:

When I move system from one HDD to another, I usually do fresh install +
data move.   This way, any security problem which might be caused by my
previous stupid moves are closed.  Also unused softwares will be
removed.

I move files under (usually after good inspection)
 /var
 /home
 /etc
 /usr/local/

GNU "cp -a" is your friend.

I do not know why grub had problem.  But for some bootloader such as lilo
is known to record physical location of program data to be accessed.
This means dd may not be the solution for such case.

Basically, dd over entire physical disk can pick up these types of data
to be moved to new system.

Generally,
1. partition fresh disk
2. initialize each partition with filesystem.
3. populate each partition with data.
is what I do.

The second and third together can be done by dd if there is enough space
and no funky bootloader type data are involved.  But I use "cp -a" after
normal initialization because it is safe and I do not know what kind of
hidden risks involved when playing with filesystem directly.

Just my thought.

> I'm not sure why some things that were supposed to work as I was doing
> things before (like trying to clone the MBR without the partition
> table, etc) didn't work, but this just worked out...

Me either.  That is why I stick to simple and safe procedure.

Osamu