install newest linux-doc-2.6* automatically

I am trying very hard to have the latest version of linux-doc-2.6*
always installed.

# apt-get install linux-doc-2.6
Package linux-doc-2.6 is a virtual package provided by:
  linux-doc-2.6.24 2.6.24-5
  linux-doc-2.6.25 2.6.25-3
You should explicitly select one to install.

# apt-show-versions |grep availab
linux-doc-2.6.24 2.6.24-5 installed: No available version in archive

# dpkg --get-selections linux-doc*
linux-doc-2.6    install
linux-doc-2.6.24 purge

# apt-get  dselect-upgrade
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-doc-2.6.24*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

# apt-get  dselect-upgrade
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove

# http_proxy= apt-get install linux-doc-2.6
Note, selecting linux-doc-2.6.25 instead of linux-doc-2.6
  linux-doc-2.6.25

Why do I have to always be on the lookout for the newest
linux-doc-2.6* package, and do the above rigamarole? What am I doing
wrong? How do the pros always keep the latest linux-doc-2.6*
installed?