Re: 97% use of / system

On Thu May 22 2008 09:56:23 andy wrote:
> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How
> can I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be
> looking for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?

I dunno, what have you been downloading?  Movies?  Music?  Games?

Debian doesn't accumulate much trash or cache.  I'd run "apt-get clean"
first but that's unlikely to recover a significant fraction of 12GB.

An algorithm that sometimes works is to:

  cd /home
  du -x --max-depth=1 | sort -n | tail
  cd into the subdirectory with the largest number
  du -x --max-depth=1 | sort -n | tail
  cd into the subdirectory with the largest number

until you find something you want to delete.  (The first "du" will
probably require several minutes.  Subsequent "du"s will be faster.)

If that doesn't find what you need, try again but starting with
"cd /" instead of "cd /home".

--Mike Bird