Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?

Javier Vasquez:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>>
>> Why do you only copy 446 Bytes back?
>
> That's what I read is necessary, since the last 64+2 bytes of the 1st
> 512  bytes correspond to the partition table, which shouldn't be
> copied over I believe.  An example of such warning can be found:
>
> http://www.sysdesign.ca/guides/partitions.html
> http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/24885-how-copy-mbr-old-harddrive-new-harddrive.html
>
> Well, I'm not sure anymore then...

Me neither. :) Without looking into the articles, I trust them more to
be correct about this than I trust myself on this matter. However, it
should still be an option to copy the MBR first and partition the drive
afterwards. But of course that leaves the question why it didn't work on
your first try.

Did you edit grub's menu list to reflect your partition changes?

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree]   [Disagree]