Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?

Javier Vasquez wrote:

You mean grub-install it?  I couldn't...  For some reason grub doesn't
even find the stage1 file after running something similar to
"grub-install --root-directory /mnt/sda-boot /dev/sda".  So I tried
chroot to /mnt/sda-root (I also made the bind between /mnt/sda-boot
and /mnt-sda-root/boot) and run "grub-install --root-directory /boot
/dev/sda" and it worked better but now the stage2 file is not found by
grub...  So yet under chroot, I did a search for /boot/grub/stage2,
and it was found under (hd0,4) or (hd0,5), so then I did "root
(hd0,4)", and then setup (hd0), and it said it finished successfully,
but that was all a lie, since I rebooted and I had the same thing as
when copying the MBR, a whole lot of "grub" words filling up the
screen.  So I have tried everything that had occurred to me and that
have read on the web, and at least just by "grub-install", or plane
grub, I don't seem to find a solution.

Ensure that you have copies all the files from your existing /boot partition to the new /boot partition. Then unmount your existing /boot and mount the new partition at /boot. Then run grub-install /dev/sda. You may want to fix the menu.lst file so that the groot points to your new disk.

I always prefer this option instead of dd.

                                       -- Albert Einstein