Re: strange gs problem: unicode encoding problem with pdf (?)

Florian,

thanks for the quick reply.

Am Montag, 19. Mai 2008 schrieb Florian Kulzer:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 23:30:15 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> [...]
>
> > Nevertheless the correct one also does not print from kpdf:
> >
> > rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$ pdfinfo KKA-DKB.pdf
> > Author:         User
> > Creator:        DocBridge Mill/cpcold 2.05.01 (Apr  3 2008)
> > Producer:       Compart MFFPDF I/O Filter 2008-04-03 01:29:23
> > CreationDate:   Wed Apr 23 03:41:11 2008
> > ModDate:        Wed Apr 23 03:41:11 2008
> > Tagged:         no
> > Pages:          2
> > Encrypted:      no
> > Page size:      612 x 841.9 pts
> > File size:      33527 bytes
> > Optimized:      no
> > PDF version:    1.3
> > rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$ file KKA-DKB.pdf
> > KKA-DKB.pdf: PDF document, version 1.3
> > rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$
> >

> > /var/log/cups/error_log contains:
> >
> > E [18/May/2008:23:25:04 +0200] PID 16470
> > (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 3!
> > E [18/May/2008:23:25:04 +0200] [Job 117] Job stopped due to filter
> > errors.
> >

> > The file prints from the linux acroread version.
> >
> > Is there a way to gather useful debug data?
>
> You can try to run
>
> foomatic-rip -v --ppd /etc/cups/ppd/$PRINTER.ppd KKA-DKB.pdf > test.printer
>
> and hope for helpful error messages.
>
> (Replace $PRINTER so that you get the correct name of the ppd file for
>  your printer. This ppd file should be in /etc/cups/ppd/ and have the
>  same name as the printer in CUPS.)

Something seems to be broken here. Although pdfinfo detects correctly that
there are two pages to be printed foomatic-rip wants to print over 100 pages,
but does not give a useful error message:

rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$ pdfinfo KKA-DKB.pdf
Creator:        DocBridge Mill/cpcold 2.05.01 (Apr  3 2008)
Producer:       Compart MFFPDF I/O Filter 2008-04-03 01:29:23
CreationDate:   Wed Apr 23 03:41:11 2008
ModDate:        Wed Apr 23 03:41:11 2008
Tagged:         no
Pages:          2
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 841.9 pts
File size:      33527 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.3
rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$

rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$ foomatic-rip -v --ppd /etc/cups/ppd/hplj6p.ppd
KKA-DKB.pdf > /dev/null
foomatic-rip version $Revision$ running...
called with
arguments: '-v', '--ppd', '/etc/cups/ppd/hplj6p.ppd', 'KKA-DKB.pdf'
Parsing PPD file ...
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
Added option ColorSpace
Added option Resolution
Added option PageSize
Added option PageRegion
Added option Model
Added option PrintoutMode
Added option InputSlot
Added option ImageableArea
Added option PaperDimension
Added option Duplex
Added option Quality
Added option Font

Parameter Summary
-----------------

Spooler: direct
Printer:
Shell: /bin/sh
PPD file: /etc/cups/ppd/hplj6p.ppd
ATTR file:
Printer model: HP LaserJet 6P Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 2.7.10
Job title: rd@blackbox
File(s) to be printed:
KKA-DKB.pdf

GhostScript extra search path ('GS_LIB'): /home/rd/.fonts

File: KKA-DKB.pdf

Reading PostScript input ...

Job does not start with "%!", is it PostScript?
Starting file converter

Starting converter for non-PostScript files
tail process done reading data from STDIN
KID2 finished
file converter PID kid2=6675
file converter command: enscript -G -M A4 -b "Page $%|
rd@blackbox" --margins=36:36:36:36 --mark-wrapped-lines=arrow --word-wrap -p-
--> This document is DSC-conforming!

-----------
Found: %%BeginProlog
Inserting option code into "Prolog" section.
Found: %%EndProlog

-----------
Found: %%BeginSetup
Inserting option code into "Setup" section.
Found: %%EndSetup

-----------
New page:  (1) 1
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (2) 2
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

Starting renderer
JCL: <job data>

-----------
New page:  (2) 2
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (2) 2
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (3) 3
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (3) 3
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (3) 3
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (4) 4
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (4) 4
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (4) 4
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (5) 5
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (5) 5
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (5) 5
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (6) 6
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (6) 6
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (6) 6
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (7) 7
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (7) 7
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (7) 7
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (8) 8
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (8) 8
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (8) 8
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (9) 9
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (9) 9
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
renderer PID kid4=6678
renderer command:
gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD" -sDeviceModel="HP
LaserJet" -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=842 -dDuplex=false -r300 -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7 -dIjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=- -
Found: %%Page: (9) 9
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (10) 10
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (10) 10
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (10) 10
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (11) 11
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

[...]

-----------
New page:  (105) 105
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (105) 105
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
New page found but previous not printed, print it now.
Found: %%Page: (106) 106
 --> Output goes directly to the renderer now.

-----------
New page:  (106) 106
Inserting option code into "PageSetup" section.
Found: %%Page: (106) 106
 --> Output goes to the FIFO buffer now.

Found: %%BeginPageSetup
Found: %%EndPageSetup
End of page header
Flushing FIFO.

Closing renderer
KID3 exited with status 0
tail process done writing data to STDOUT
KID4 finished
KID4 exited with status 0
Renderer exit stat: 0
KID3 finished
Renderer process finished

Closing file converter
KID2 exited with status 0
KID1 exited with status 0
File converter exit stat: 0
File converter process finished

Closing foomatic-rip.
rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$

> You can also try to convert the file to postscript yourself, with pdf2ps
> (from ghostscript) or with pdftops (from poppler-utils or xpdf-utils).
> Maybe one of these tools can produce working postscript. (The one from
> ghostscript should in principle be identical to what foomatic-rip itself
> does to the PDF file, though.)
>
> If all else fails then you can use pdftoppm (from poppler-utils or
> xpdf-utils) to generate bitmap images of the pages of the PDF and print
> those. (You can set an appropriate resolution with the "-r" option.)

Thanks for these workarounds. Since I have a workaround (use acrobat) my main
interest is to provide a reasonable bug report to the developers.

Any input what additional debug data I could collect and who to report the
problem are very welcome.

Thanks,
Rainer

--