Re: Mail not getting to DU

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 13:56:54 -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> On Tue, 20 May 2008, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
>> I am still reading the mail on mutt though.  So I have to paste your
>> message into icedove.  ;-(
>
> I haven't been following this discussion, so forgive me if I'm
> misunderstanding.  I suspect from this e-mail that you're having problems
> sending e-mail from Mutt to the list, which you have set up to go through
> postfix on your local box then on to your ISP.

I have had similar issues in the past with mutt -> exim4 on localhost ->
smtp server, but I don't remember if it also affected posting to
debian-user. I have always attributed these problems to spam blocking
via IP blacklisting. Changing my mail configuration (see below) solved
the issue for me.

> Have you tried sending
> directly from Mutt through your ISP's mail server?  Yes, I know Mutt
> itself doesn't have that capability.  Just Google for Mutt SMTP wrapper
> and you'll find a shell script you can use to send mail directly from
> Mutt through your IPS's mail server.  I used it for a number of years
> before switching to Alpine.

Mutt has had integrated SMTP support since early 2007:

-----
This patch adds ESMTP relay support to mutt. To use, set $smtp_url to
the address of your smtp relay, in the form:

smtp[s]://[user[:password]@]host[:port]/

where port defaults to 25 for smtp and 465 for smtps.

You can also set $smtp_authenticators to control which methods mutt will
attempt to use during authentication. See $imap_authenticators for
details.
-----

Debian incorporated this feature in version 1.5.14+cvs20070301-1, so it
is unfortunately not available in Etch. Backports.org has a new enough
version of mutt, though.

I always found msmtp very reliable to use with the pre-esmtp versions
of mutt. The syntax of ~/.msmtprc is very straightforward, e.g.:

tls on
host smtp.example.com
from your_email@example.com
auth on
user your_username
password XXXXXXXXXX

Then you only need

set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

in your ~/.muttrc and you should be ready to go.

Another thing that might help is subscribing to Debian's whitelist:
http://lists.debian.org/whitelist/

          Florian   |