Re: [OT] FOSS Marketplace

On Monday 19 May 2008 08:08:57 am Samuel Bächler wrote:
> I am using debian etch for everyday task since 2005. As more
> as I learn about computer I realize that one can do all the things
> on e can do with the other proprietary systems. The only drawback
> of FOSS is that it is sometimes harder to configure.

I suspect this is a patently false postulation and a good mind-set to get out
of.  Proprietary software is just as often harder to configure than free
software, proprietary software has everything to lose if they don't lie about
this up front.

> The idea which came to my mind some time ago was to establish a marketplace
> where "geeks" meet "normal" users.

You invented the mailing list?

> On the marketplace people could ask: "Who can set up a mythTV
> media center for me?" Questions like this aren't asked on lists
> (e.g. debian-users) which brought myself to the idea that maybe
> there is a market for such problems.

This kind of idea has been pitched before and largely rejected as:

1) Redundant.  We already have mailing lists, as well as consultants to do
this already.

2) Stupid.  Who would be willing to sit through that many RTFM questions all
day every day to make such an idea actually work?  If the proprietary
software world is any indication, you'll have a hard time paying people to do
this for very long, or quickly run out of money trying to keep quality people
who can help on board.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca