Re: apt-get dist-upgrade failure

Manu Hack wrote:

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com <mailto:preston.lists@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Manu Hack wrote:

        Hi,

        I decided to upgrade my etch box to lenny/sid but an apt-get
        dist-upgrade got stuck.  Please let me know what could be done here.

        Thanks a lot.

        Manu

    i wonder if you could do this:

    dpkg -i --force-overwrite
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libbonobo2-common_2.22.0-1_all.deb

    i've had to use --force-overwrite from time to time...

Forgot to reply all.

Still getting the same error of

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libbonobo2-common_2.22.0-1_all.deb (--unpack):

 unable to make backup link of `./usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/libbonobo-2.0.mo <http://libbonobo-2.0.mo/>' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Got the same error with apt-get -f install

And the file

/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/libbonobo-2.0.mo

is so weird that even sudo rm /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/libbonobo-2.0.mo said I don't have the permission to do so. (Operation not permitted)

Please elaborate on what you mean by 'weird'. Is it a symbolic link or a regular file?

Try becoming root with 'sudo -i' and remove that file. root should be able to delete any regular file irrespective of whether it is being used or not. Nobody tells root he can't do something (outside of some special directories). You should suspect something seriously wrong if your system behaves otherwise.

For your present problem with locales, install localepurge and get rid of all the locales that you don't care about.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi