Re: difficulties updating Etch

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:39:42AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>> On 05/14/2008 11:42 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> >I get various errors during the update phase of aptitude.  Sometimes its
>> >just "some files failed to download"; I guess it timed out or something.
>> >I'm on dialup.  How to prevent absolute timeouts but allow (encourage)
>> >aptitude to re-issue requests.
>> >
>> >Sometimes I get gpg errors.
>> >
>> >Last time, I get "Bizarre Error: file size not what the server
>> >reported".
>
> The mirrors must have been having problems or being updated; it worked
> late last night.  This morning I finished fixing the ssh fiasco for all
> users on all boxes.
>
>> Perhaps you can use a slightly different procedure since your dialup is
>> having problems. You can use "apt-get --print-uris upgrade" to get a
>> list of URLs to download, and you can use wget to get the actual files.
>> After the files MD5 sums are checked (how?), they can be placed in
>> /var/cache/apt/archives. Wget can be told to retry and retry; it can
>> also be told to continue failed downloads.
>>
>> Think of this as untested pseudocode for the first part of the process:
>> mkdir /tmp/getem && ch /tmp/getem
>> sudo apt-get --print-uris upgrade > getem.list
>> wget --input-file=getem.list --tries=100 --continue
>

> Yeah, I figured I could cobble something together from wget but I don't
> know about the gpg problem.  This latter stuff is a low-priority problem
> at which I'll poke as time and inclination permits.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug.

IMHO, if you have been using aptitude religiously, don't do anything outside
of aptitude that you can avoid.  Aptitude keeps an extensive record of your
systems package history, which it considers during every operation, making
suggestions as needed and automatically cleaning up unused files and
packages.

Why mung that up with installs outside of aptitudes purview?

How about an alternate sources.list with different mirrors--if you really
need to get things done in the moment? When you switch it out, you'll get
flashy red errors about the package cache. But there is no damage, it will
all straighten out if you run update.

Then you are in business.