Re: problem with grub

Am 2008-05-15 um 11:14 schrieb Gilles Guiot:
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to Linux. I have a Dell server with two raid arrays (sda and
sdb), both raid 1.  I created and LVM on sdb. After having copied the
filesystem from sda onto sdb, I want to configure grub so that it boots on
sdb.

Could you clarify what your setup is?

Do you have two disks, sda and sdba, which together form *one* RAID1 array, or do you have two partitions on each of the two disks and use two RAID1 arrays, or...? I don't quite understand why you only create LVM on sdb, not on sda,
and what you mean by "copying the filesystem from sda to sdb".

You probably mean you have two partitions on disks sda and sdb, one small
partition and a larger partition. Then you put the two small partitions
together in RAID1 and use it for /boot. You also put the two larger partitions
together into another RAID1 array and use this for LVM.

And now you want to make sure you can boot your system either from sda or sdb,
i.e. you can start the system even if one disk has failed, correct?

when i type grub> root (sdb,0) , i get the message : syntax error near
unexpected token '('.
Could someone tell me what's my mistake and how to do it properly ?

Do you type "grub> root (sdb,0)" (without the "") all in one line? If so, you have misunderstood the instructions! You first need to type "grub", then press enter, this will get you to the GRUB command, i.e. you will see a command prompt of "grub>" at the left. Only then you have to enter "root (sdb, 0)" and all the other commands (each followed by pressing enter and without the "").

-Moritz