Re: sendmail - dns lookup problem

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:16:13PM +0200, Viktor Matys wrote:

> WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
> reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

I run postfix, not sendmail, but wanted to suggest that you check your
/etc/hosts file to ensure that there is a FQDN for your local host, and
that it matches whatever you're telling sendmail. For example:

    127.0.1.1	random.grumpa.net random grumpa

Also, IIRC sendmail.mc gets recompiled automagically at startup, so
manual changes to sendmail.cf might not survive a reboot.

> Dj;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached Cw;; connection
> timed out; no servers could be reached CG;; connection timed out; no
> servers could be reached

Best-practice for a mail server is to run a caching name server to
minimize DNS timeouts. If you're not already doing so, you might want to
consider that. You might also want to look into setting the "rotate"
flag in your /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base to
spread the load around to more than one upstream resolver.

Hope some of this helps. :)

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"