sendmail - dns lookup problem

Hello,

I have sendmail installed on several servers of different customers. When I run sendmailconfig on some server I get message:

WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

As we can see there in brackets is an error message instead of true local host name. This message is returned from dns lookup procedure. But dns lookup has no problem (responses are pretty fast):

hostname -f
server.example.com

host server.example.com
server.example.com  has address 10.22.19.126

host 10.22.19.126
126.19.22.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer server.example.com

host -t mx example.com
example.com mail is handled by 10 server.example.com.

cat /etc/mailname
server.example.com

That error message appears on some lines in sendmail.cf too:

Dj;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
Cw;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
CG;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Which results in situation when other mail servers refuses e-mail from this server for that nonsense name. I must repair it myself "by hands", but Debian has "helpful" feature - after reboot is sendmail.cf autogenerated again with those error messages inside.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much

Viktor Matys