Re: Where does apt store its arch?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:44:50PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> I've recently installed a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit system with the
> "--arch=i386" flag to debootstrap, but I can't quite figure out how apt
> knows that I want to continue downloading i386 debs instead of amd64
> debs. Where is this information stored?

Probably the same way that apt knows on the amd64.

I don't know how, but I can imagine several ways:

-	perhaps apt can determine its own binaries version (amd64, i386,
	etc)

-	there's a command (it was on the list recently) to tell what
	architecture is being run).

However it happens, it happens.  When I want to run aptitude in the
chroot, I just run:

# schroot -pc etch-ia32 /usr/bin/aptitude

and I get aptitude in the chroot with everything mounted that nees
mounted and I get the right debs.  Go figure.  This is debian: on a box
with enough oomph, it just works.

Doug.