Re: prevent dpkg from (re-)starting services

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:21:35PM +0200, Olaf Leidinger wrote:
> On a file server I installed several debian(-based) distributions into
> an exported directory using debootstrap. These are used as root
> filesystems for diskless clients. To install new packages/updates I
> chroot into the directories of the corresponding distributions and run
> aptitude. The problem is, that every time I install the update of a
> service (e.g. cups) or a new one, the service is started in the chrooted
> environment, but I don't want to run any service in there.
>
> Is there a way to prevent dpkg from (re-)starting these services?
> Deleting them from the /etc/rc* directories is not an option, as they
> are needed by the clients.

Yes, it is possible to conditionally prevent services from
being (re-)started, with the init script policy mechanism.
It's explained in the invoke-rc.d manpage and in the file
/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.policy-rc.d.gz

For a local chroot which is not shared, I use a simple
/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d script just containing "exit 101",
but the mechanism should also be flexible enough for your needs.

Best regards,
Mirko