Re: Debian or Ubuntu?

On Fri, May 9, 2008 9:30 am, Tenant wrote:
> We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
> Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
> Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu?  In the same
> vein are there any views on just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with Lenny?

    For Colo work I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu.  Ubuntu's track record for
upgrades between releases is spotty.  Most times the recommended
procedure is a reinstall.  While that is tolerable (note, not ideal) for
workstations thanks to Microsoft's training of the IT world it is
utterly unacceptable for servers.  That goes double for servers you most
likely have no physical access to.

    Debian's release schedule is glacial, granted, but a part of that is the
effort that goes into ensuring that upgrading from one release to the
next won't break in unexpected ways.  Some things will break in upgrades
because of version incompatibilities on specific applications, but
generally the whole system won't go belly up because of an upgrade.

    Because of that proven track record of dedication to smooth upgrades
going back 10 years I would not recommend anything but Debian for colo
machines.  It is all that I have used on my colo machines in spite of my
love/hate relationship with Debian on the desktop and subsequent
dabbling with Ubuntu on the desktop.

--
Steve Lamb