prevent dpkg from (re-)starting services

Hello List!

On a file server I installed several debian (-based) distributions into
an exported directory using debootstrap. These are used as root
filesystems for diskless clients. To install new packages/updates I
chroot into the directories of the corresponding distributions and run
aptitude. The problem is, that every time I install the update of a
service (e.g. cups), the service is (started in the chrooted
environment, but I don't want to run any service in there.

Is there a way to prevent dpkg from (re-)starting these services?
Deleting them from the /etc/rc* directories is not an option, as they
are needed by the clients.

Thanks in advance!

Olaf Leidinger