Re: GRUB Error 17

Cassiel:

> I did not install/re-install anything, resize partitions or anything else
> could do something wrong. I was trasferring data from my usb HD when the
> process stopped (input/output error) and the system went completely frozen.
>> From that moment on I can not boot from HD.
>
> Using knoppix I can read all partitions... exept /home and /

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. Boot from a rescue disk and fsck
all filesystems. smartctl might give some clues what's wrong with the
disk. In any case make sure you have backups of everything you'd rather
not lose.

> I would prefer not to do a fresh install if not necessary even if my data
> are backed up on a safe partition.

There are disk migration howtos for linux irrespective of the
distribution you are using. You might want to follow them to move your
system to a new disk and then analyze what's wrong with your current
disk.

J.
--
The houses of parliament make me think of school bullies.
[Agree]   [Disagree]