Re: Iceweasel's UserAgent

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> This is interesting. I've changed the UserAgent to say Firefox instead
> of Iceweasel and that triangle is present (which I had never noticed, to
> say the truth, but is very nice), and other sites which did not
> recognize Iceweasel now work.
>
> Which leads to the question: Shouldn't Iceweasel at least advertise
> itself as Firefox? Because after all it _is_ Firefox, only with a
> different name.

Pretty sure that Mozilla.com won't allow that. Primarily because Firefox
is their trademark.

I haven't gone through the javascript which tries to detect the browser,
but it could possibly see that Iceweasel is based off Gecko and it also
has a date. If that information can be trusted, Iceweasel could get the
"triangle toggle" automatically. But the fact is that almost everyone
who sniffs browser UA string, just tries to look for a simple string
e.g. Google maps features work by the small change discussed above.

More discussion about UA string for Iceweasel: