mailman install trouble

I am having trouble installing mailman.

When I do "sudo apt-get install mailman" .. it gets as far as
the language selection, and then loops.

I enter "en" (or nothing) where it belongs, save it, exit the
editor, or exit without saving, then it comes up with the same
screen again.  Repeat forever. (until I kill -9 ...)

The system is rather old, with Etch, kept current.  Everything
else has been working fine for a long time.  It is set up as a
web and email server, with apache2, exim4, python 2.4.4, ....

I checked archives, google, etc..  and I didn't see any
reference to this problem.

ideas?