Re: Cannot partition a hard drive with the Etch installer

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 04:59:07PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
>> LVM VG SOL, LV var - 3.2 gB Linux Device Mapper
>> 	#1 3.2 gB
>> SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 250.1 gB ATA WDC WD2500AAJS.0
>> 	#1 primary  82.2 mB B F ext3 /boot
>> 	#2 primary 250.0 gB   K lvm
>>
>> Undo changes to the partitions.
>> Finish partitioning and write changes to disk.
>> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> When I selected the "Finish" option, the following was returned:
>>
>> 	No root file system is defined.
>> 	Please correct this from the partitioning menu.
>>
>> I went back to the partitioning menu but could find no way to indicate
>> where to mount each logical volume, nor to indicate which volumes were
>> to be encrypted.
>>
>> My question: can I do what I want to do and -- if so -- how?
>
> Its too soon to finish.  You have marked for creating the LVs, and have
> labled them, but you still much choose each one (move curser, hit enter)
> and select "use as" and select a filesystem type, a filesystem lable, a
> mount point, etc, just as when you selected partition #1 and marked it
> "use as" ext3, mount on /boot, and partition #2 as "use as" physical
> volume for LVM.

	I understand what you are saying in the previous paragraph, and I
expected to be able to do what you suggest.  My problem is that the
installer will not let me do that in LVM logical volumes -- I am *not
allowed* to put the cursor on a LV, hit enter and make those selections.

	So, I am back to my original question: can I do what I want to do, and
if so how?  Otherwise should I abandon LVM altogether and file a bug report?

			Ken Heard