Debian Installer Hangs on MacBook

So I reconfigured my new MacBook (MacBook4.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM) to dual-boot between OS/X and Ubuntu (keep reading; this isn't about Ubuntu) using rEfit. I chose Ubuntu because it was easy, and I just wanted to get a feel for how well Linux would run on the MacBook.

It worked fairly well, but it wasn't long before it just started feeling "dirty" to me; I longed for pure Debian. So I downloaded the 4.0.r3.13 netinstaller ISO and burned it to CD, and then booted from it.

No matter what options I've tried (noapic, nolapic, genericblahblahIDEblah, irqpoll, whatever I could find that looked promising), the boot process hangs fairly early in the process, usually when it gets around to trying to access the drive/CD, complaining about hda (or hde, depending on boot options, etc) not being ready, or complaining about timeouts, etc.

I'm unsure how to get beyond this. Any suggestions?

--
Kent